* To Entrain means to draw in and transport.
This starts with our Diffused Aeration range of aerators. At Heathland Aquatic Engineering we have a range of diffusers available offering both tube or disc style diffuser membranes. Tube style diffuser membranes entrain water from 360° around the tube, allowing them to reach deeper water while the height of the diffuser base prevents them from disturbing the actual Reservoir bottom. Disc style diffuser membranes entrain water from the top of the membrane up through the water column.
So why is entraining water in Reservoir Aeration so important?
Thermal stratification is the layering of water which happens in the summer. The top layer consists of warm oxygen rich water and the bottom layer is a cooler, oxygen deprived layer. The middle transitory section between these two is known as the thermocline. The differences in density at the thermocline is the reason these two layer do not mix.
It all has to do with the mixing and blending of the water column.
The Diffused Aeration units are designed to pump air through the diffuser membranes which is then able to make its way up to the reservoir surface in the form of millions of tiny bubbles. As these bubbles travel up through the layers of thermal stratification they entrain water. this water is then brought up to the surface layers of the reservoir where they become naturally oxygenated. This is how it aerates the reservoir.
this aeration process creates aerobic conditions near the reservoir base where microbial process can naturally break down nutrients which would otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae. by circulating and aerating from the reservoir base upwards, the toxic gases which would normally be trapped underneath the thermocline layer would be realised thereby providing a balanced habitat for aquatic life.
Key features to using diffused aeration systems in your reservoir;
- Breaks up thermal stratification layers throughout the water column allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increase the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing the habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Operating throughout winter will keep areas of frozen reservoirs open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.