It’s all about entraining* water with diffused pond aerators
Diffused pond aerators entrain the water in your pond and we offer a range of diffused pond aerators offering both tube or disc style diffuser membranes. Tube style diffuser membranes entrain water from 360° around the tube, allowing them to reach deeper water, whilst the height of the diffuser base prevents them from disturbing the bottom of the pond. Disc style diffuser membranes entrain water from the top of the membrane up through the water column of the pond.
Why is entraining water in the aeration of pond & lake beds so important?
It's all about mixing and blending of the water column in your pond as thermal stratification occurs in most ponds during the summer. Thermal stratification is the layering of warmer, oxygen rich water near the surface of the pond, on top of cooler, oxygen deprived water towards the bottom. The transition between these layers is called the thermocline. The differences in water density at the thermocline prevents the water from mixing causing aeration problems.
Diffused aeration systems pump air through the diffuser membranes and the air is then able to make its way to the pond surface in the form of millions of tiny bubbles. As these bubbles travel upward through the layers of thermal stratification, they entrain or carry water with them. This water is carried to the surface, where it becomes naturally oxygenated, thus aerating your pond or lake.
By aerating and circulating from the pond bottom up, the toxic gasses previously trapped under the thermocline can escape, thereby providing a balanced habitat for aquatic life. The aeration also creates aerobic conditions near the pond bottom where microbial processes can naturally break down nutrients, which would otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae.
Key features when using diffused aeration systems in your pond or water feature
- Breaks up thermal stratification throughout the water column allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increases the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing a habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Winter operation will keep areas of frozen ponds open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.
- Prevents fish kills in freezing conditions.