The aim is to entrain*
* to entrain means to draw in and transport
Heathland Aquatic Engineering has a variety of diffused lake aerators available offering both tube or disc style diffuser membranes. Disc style diffuser membranes entrain water from the top of the membrane up through the water column. Tube style diffuser membranes entrain water from 360° around the tube, allowing them to reach deeper water, whilst the height of the diffuser base prevents them from disturbing the actual lake bed.
So why is entraining water in Lake Aeration so important?
Thermal stratification occurs in most lakes during the summer. Thermal stratification is the layering of warmer, oxygen rich water near the surface of the lake on top of cooler, oxygen deprived water at the bottom. The transitory layer between these two is called the thermocline. It is the differences in water density at the thermocline level that prevents the water from mixing.
By aerating and circulating from the pond bottom up, the toxic gasses previously trapped under the thermocline can escape, thereby providing a balanced habitat for aquatic life in the lake.
Aeration also creates aerobic conditions near the pond bottom where microbial processes can naturally break down nutrients that would otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae.
Diffused aeration systems pumps air through the diffuser membranes and the air is then able to make its way to the pond surface in the form of millions of tiny bubbles. As these bubbles travel upward through the layers of thermal stratification they entrain water with them. This water is carried to the surface where it becomes naturally oxygenated, thus aerating the water body.
Key features of a diffused aeration systems in your lake;
- Breaks up thermal stratification throughout the water column allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increases the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing a habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Winter operation will keep areas of frozen ponds open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.
- Prevents fish kills in freezing conditions.