*To Entrain means to draw in and transport.
This process begins with our Diffused Aeration style of aerators. we have a wide range of diffusers in which we offer both disc styled or tube styled membrane diffusers. The tube style diffuser membranes entrain water from 360° around the tube, this allows them to reach deeper water while the height of the diffuser base stops them from disturbing the fishery base. Disc style diffuser membranes entrain water from the top of the membrane up through the column.
So why is entraining water in Fishery Bed Aeration so important?
During the summer, when the temperature heats up thermal stratification occurs. this is when within the fishery water layering occurs. The top layer of water will be warmer and oxygen rich whereas the bottom layer will be cooler and oxygen deficient, the transition layer which separates these two is called the thermocline. The difference in water density at the thermocline stops the two from mixing.
The diffused aeration systems that we offer pump air through the diffuser membranes. this is then able to travel to the fishery surface as millions of tiny bubbles. As the bubbles travel through the layers of thermal stratification they will entrain water, this water is transported to the surface where it will become naturally oxygenated.
Through the medium of aerating and circulating from the fishery bottom up, the toxic gasses previously trapped under the thermocline can escape, which will then provide a balanced habitat for aquatic life.
The aeration also creates aerobic conditions near the fishery bed where microbial processes can naturally break down nutrients which would otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae.
Key features to using diffused aeration systems in your fishery;
- Breaks up thermal stratification throughout the water column allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increase the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing the habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Winter operation will keep areas of frozen fisheries open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.
- Prevents fish kills in freezing conditions.