Canal bank protection and stabilisation is required for a number of reasons. We can either supply canal piling and bank protection products or supply and install them using our specialist team of engineers to complete your canal restoration project. But if you have the capacity to do the work yourself, we can supply a variety of canal piling options to suit your requirements.
Our Plastic Canal Piling
- Is totally maintenance free
- Will not decay or oxidise
- Is much lighter than the steel canal piling equivalent – therefore making it easier to handle and transport in locations with limited access
- Has a Class 1 fire rating which is backed with no risk to sparking
- Is made from 100% recycled plastic
- Is available with wood composite fascia for great aesthetics in beautiful locations
- Is easy to scale down onsite
- Is chemically resistant
- Is salt water resistant.
Flood Defence for Canals
In recent years the UK has seen unprecedented levels of flooding of both rivers and canals, this has highlighted the need for cost-effective and extremely robust solutions to be put in place to avoid future devastation caused by flooded canals and waterways. Our canal piling products all offer great solutions for flood defence in canals. Nicospan is also a good option where cost needs to be kept down and canal bank heights are under one metre.
The Management of Flood Plains and Wetlands
Canal Piling is now being used with the chief objective of sustaining wetlands and protecting the rich wildlife that inhabits them. Canal piling can be used to elevate water levels, reduce soil erosion and ultimately, to help prevent water draining down to lower ground and the subsequent flooding of farmland and properties located there, that at are at risk.
Nicospan and Plastic piling are ideal for canal banks as they are lightweight enough to be carried to sites in hard to reach areas such as the Broadland and other wetlands, which is why Nicospan and plastic piling are used extensively by associations such as the National Trust, Broads Authority and the Environment Agency.
Canal piling is made from lightweight, durable PVCu
All our Canal piling materials are made from recycled PVCu and due to the lightweight nature of these canal piling products, they can sometimes be installed by hand if ground conditions allow, eliminating the need for heavy machinery, that could destroy wildlife, flora and fauna in protected areas.
Our canal and river piling range is 100% lead-free and made in Britain, in addition to being:
- Versatile and easy to apply to any application
- A very cost effective alternative
- Exceedingly strong
- Available in a range of styles
- Easy to transport due to its lightweight advantages
- Reduced or no mechanical handling required
- Made from 100% recycled, lead-free plastic
- Completely maintenance free and does not decay or oxidise
- Does not need painting
- Resistant to most chemicals
Plastic Piling is good for the Environment
Farmers, Trusts, Forestry Commissions and Environmental Protection bodies such as the National Trust, Defra and the Environment Agency choose plastic piling, for several reasons:
- Once plastic piling is installed it will not need any other maintenance work
- All of our Plastic PVCu Canal piling products are made from 100% lead-free recycled plastic, thus promoting sustainability
- Platic piling won’t rot or rust
- PVCu piling won’t need painting nor leach chemicals into water
- Due to the lightweight nature of the plastic canal piling, large vehicle access is not required
Erosion in Canals and Rivers
The UK’s canal banks are subject to erosion as a result of changes to climate, which make greater demands on them, causing increased water flows. Plastic canal piling can help by creating a protective water-tight barrier, whilst giving an attractive, clean edge to ponds, lakes, rivers and canal banks. If, however you are looking for an erosion solution that is more budget friendly and does not need to take the impact of plastic piling then Nicospan is a great alternative.
Plastic piling in landscaping
We offer a number of different piling products supporting a vast range of applications. Our plastic canal and river piling can be used in lots of different ways within landscaping, land development and gardening projects.
Canal piling products and Nicospan can be used for soil confinement or to create tiers in gardens and larger areas using a tie-back system. Plastic piling doesn’t degrade or rot and as some of the piling products we supply are water-tight, no maintenance is required, so our piling is durable and maintenance free.
The Log pile offers a unique opportunity for landscapers and developers. Each section of log pile consists of three ‘logs’ extruded together with an interlocking joint on each end, and is readily available in any length of up to 6m long. The log piles can be installed with concrete and topped off with soil for further strength, with plants added to provide an attractive finish.
These log piles have been used in garden exhibits at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in 2014. As with all canal piling products, the log pile is also made from the same recycled lead-free PVCu. Log pile has a wood composite fascia to give the piling a natural appearance, which is perfect for landscaping and offers a unique hard engineering option with a natural softer engineering appearance.
We supply all our plastic piling equipment and our services to both domestic and commercial clients throughout Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and nationally across the United Kingdom. For more information and advice about any of our piling products, bank erosion and stabilisation or lake construction, lake maintenance or lake design services, please email email@example.com or call 0800 3891990.